Celebrating the 50th year of Alfred Newman’s bequest of “Conquest” to USC, the Trojan Marching Band and Concert Band, under Arthur C. Bartner, has invited eight special guests to perform in a gala film music concert – “Conquest! A Salute to Alfred Newman and His Film Music Legacy” – on Sunday, April 16, at 7 p.m. at the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts.
The guests are:
• Academy Award nominee Thomas Newman (“American Beauty”), who will conduct “Palm Sunday” from his father’s score to “The Robe.”
• Eight-time Grammy Award-winner Marilyn McCoo, who will sing a medley of classic film songs.
• ASCAP Foundation Life time Achievement Award-recipient Buddy Baker, who will conduct themes from his score to “Winnie the Pooh.”
• Elmer Bernstein, in his 50th year of film scoring, who will conduct his score to “The Ten Commandments.”
• Seven-time Emmy Award winner Bruce Brough ton, who will conduct his feature film score “Silverado.”
• Basil Poledouris, a USC alumnus, who will conduct his Russian choral anthem from “The Hunt for Red October.”
• Legendary film composer David Raksin, who will conduct the theme from “Laura.”
• Alfred’s daughter Maria Newman, an accomplished composer, violinist and violist, who will present the world premiere of her “Suite for Brass.”
Admission is $35 for upper tier, $50 for gold circle, $125 for grand tier including complimentary cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. For reservations or more information, call (213) 740-6317.