As 2012 ends, here are 12 factoids about USC Radio
This was the year that USC Radio was finally able to air classical music reaching from California’s southern border to the wine country north of San Francisco on its stations KUSC and KDFC.
Within that milestone are many other points of pride for the two stations. Here is an even dozen:
• Classical KUSC and Classical KDFC are two of the largest public radio stations in the country.
• USC operates the only classical stations in Southern California and the Bay Area.
• More than 1 million Californians listen to USC Radio stations every week. Classical KUSC in Los Angeles serves 550,000 listeners, and Classical KDFC in San Francisco serves 385,000. An additional 150,000 music lovers listen online to both stations.
• More than 70 percent of the operating budget of Classical KUSC comes from member support.
• Sixty thousand listeners provide annual financial support for USC Radio.
• Classical KUSC reaches 14,500 adults, who list their occupation as chairman of the board, board member or director, or president or vice president of an organization.
• Classical KUSC provides almost $1 million worth of free promotion and marketing announcements every year for arts organizations throughout Southern California.
• Classical KUSC is the broadcast home of the LA Philharmonic, LA Opera, LA Master Chorale, LA Chamber Orchestra, Pacific Symphony and several other Southern California musical institutions.
• Classical KUSC produces more than 500 hours of Southern California arts programming annually, including live concerts by many of these musical groups.
• Classical KUSC produces and airs a weekly program featuring performances from the USC Thornton School of Music. USC Thornton is the only music school in the nation with a weekly radio broadcast.
• Classical KDFC, in its first membership drive after converting from a commercial station, raised more than $1 million in listener support.
• Classical KDFC is the broadcast home of the San Francisco Symphony and the San Francisco Opera.
For more information about USC Radio’s stations, visit kusc.org and kdfc.com