As the year comes to a close, we look back at USC’s athletic highlights from 2019, including first-time championships and records — both academic and in the butterfly stroke — being broken.
‣ Women’s lacrosse team win first Pac-12 championship
As the top seed, expectations were high for the USC women’s lacrosse team going into the 2019 Pac-12 tournament. And the Trojans delivered, defeating second-seeded Colorado 10-7 to claim the program’s first Pac-12 title and third league tournament championship.
‣ Mike Bohn named athletic director
In November, USC chose a new leader for its athletics program in Mike Bohn, formerly the athletic director at the University of Cincinnati. “I’m honored and humbled to be leading USC Athletics into a new era,” he said.
‣ USC wins 2018-2019 Crosstown Cup
The Crosstown Cup returned to USC for the 11th time in 18 years as the Trojans topped UCLA 105-85 in their annual head-to-head competition. A victory in women’s rowing clinched the victory and was proceeded by wins in women’s volleyball, men’s water polo, men’s volleyball, women’s swimming, women’s track, women’s golf, women’s water polo and women’s rowing.
‣ Four women’s teams place second in NCAA championships
‣ Louise Hansson takes home two NCAA swim titles
Records were made to be broken, especially when they’re being chased by Louise Hansson. The junior broke her own NCAA record in the 100-yard butterfly and became the third-fastest woman in the 200-yard butterfly this year, bringing home NCAA titles in both races.
‣ Women win big at NCAA track and field competitions
Several standout women on the USC track and field team took first place at the 2019 NCAA Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championship, including Anna Cockrell in the 400-meter hurdles, Angie Annelus in the 200-meter dash and the team in the 4×100-meter relay. In addition, three additional women won titles of their own at the Indoor Track & Field Championships: Chanel Brissett in the 60-meter hurdles, Kaelin Roberts in the 400-meter dash and TeeTee Terry in the 60-meter dash.
‣ Academic and graduation rates reach new heights
For the sixth consecutive year, USC’s Academic Progress Rate and Graduation Success Rate both hit all-time highs. The Graduation Success Rate was 90%, four points higher than the university’s 2018 mark, and 13 Trojan sports posted an Academic Progress Rate that equaled or exceeded last year’s score.
‣ Swim With Mike continues to give back
Trojans past, present and future continued to support Swim With Mike in 2019, as the scholarship program for student-athletes with physical disabilities raised over $1.6 million in its 39th year.
‣ USC basketball signs the nation’s No. 1 player
Last but certainly not least, the future is bright for men’s basketball as Evan Mobley — No. 1 overall in the 2019-20 recruiting class — signed a letter of intent to play at USC. He’s the first top-ranked recruit in Trojan basketball history.
USC 2019 | A LOOK BACK — See more of our year-end package:
- Dramatic changes that helped put the university on a new course.
- The passionate Trojans who inspired us.
- A year of famous faces on campus.
- Groundbreaking advances from our research labs.
- The top USC News stories you had to share.