Fickett Collection Finds a Home at USC
Edward H. Fickett ’37, remembered for his uniquely stylish and functional homes, established a name for himself in the design of affordable housing for soldiers returning from World War II.
More than 60,000 homes across the United States have the distinction of being a Fickett home.
Fickett’s wife, Joycie, donated to USC the contents of her late husband’s West Hollywood design office to supply future generations of scholars with insights into his innovative modernist designs. Among the collection’s contents are renderings, slides, blueprints and numerous photographs, many of which were taken by renowned architecture photographer Julius Shulman.
Fickett’s high-profile projects include Beverly Hills’ Trousdale Estates, the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas, Norton and Edwards Air Force bases, the Port of Los Angeles passenger and cargo terminal buildings, the La Costa Resort & Spa and the seismic renovation of Los Angeles City Hall.
Among his numerous innovations were cantilevering tennis courts, adding color into cement mixtures, thereby avoiding paint costs, and designing the first open car port. He also designed one of the first prefabricated houses for manufacture.
The national American Institute for Architects called him “an American hero” for his efforts on behalf of members of the armed forces and for his contributions to the field of architecture. Fickett served as a Lt. Commander in the U.S. Navy’s Civil Engineering Corp. between 1940 and 1945.
Fickett served as the architectural adviser to President Dwight D. Eisenhower and a consultant to the U.S. Federal Government for Housing. Many of the specifications and guidelines that Fickett wrote are still used today.
Fickett earned many accolades, including the United States Presidential Merit of Honor, four National Progressive Architecture Design Awards and the International First Honor Award for his design of the Port of Los Angeles. He also received two Los Angeles Beautification Awards and a Los Angeles Conservancy Preservation Award for his renovation of Fire Station No. 30 in South Los Angeles, built in 1913.
As an active alumnus and founding member of the USC Architectural Guild, Fickett had a lifelong affinity for his alma mater. The addition of the Edward H. Fickett collection complements USC Libraries’ robust architectural holdings.
For more information on the collection, contact Claude Zachary at email@example.com or (213) 740-2587.